Saturday, September 11, 2010

Please Read.


I am currently sitting outside of the Starbucks a few miles from my house. I came here to write. For the past week, writing  has been a priority. As many of you know, I launched this blog pretty spontaneously. Before I continue, I want to a take a minute to back up and share a few thoughts with you. I would love to write constantly. The thing is, this can't be all I do. I love the idea of waking up every morning, taking my laptop down to the kitchen table, making a cup of tea, and writing away. But being in high school does not permit that. Being in high school requires- well you know- constant energy and attention. If you take a bunch of AP courses, your social life is already out the window. Time for writing? Haha, right. But I have refused for that to be the case for me. I've always had a passion for expressing myself (as you may have seen through my photography on Flickr) perhaps because I know that to some degree the people around me can identify in some way or another with what I have to say. As a few of my friends can tell you, numerous times I have attempted to start a novel and given up by the second chapter or so because I either a. lose inspiration b. not have clear a direction to go in or c. am halted by a demanding course load. 

However, at the start of this blog all three things have been abandoned. Sitting in the E.R. as a result of a panic attack two weeks ago entirely changed my perspective. It led to a series of dramatic- to say the least- events, ranging from praying in an empty sanctuary on a Monday night to pacing alone in the photography darkroom at 7:36 at my high school. (both being events that I wrote about) Those are only two examples of the highly personal, yet extremely passionate and exceptional, occurrences that I experience on a daily basis. They are also occurrences that will not cease, as I am always seeking new places to explore and new discoveries to make- for the majority of the time, in solitude. Anyone that knows me would say that I am extremely independent, deep, intellectual, and passionate. I also love intensity. I tend to throw my entire heart and soul into everything I do and believe in. This, as someone once told me, can lead you to being "spread too thin." I realize that this has been a constant struggle for me, as I have many creative interests. However, I have decided, for the time being, that writing is what I will pursue. As I aspire to improve, and eventually get published, know this. I need your feedback and encouragement as I continue to write. I will be exposing a lot of myself in the process, and need to know that it is worth pursuing. This writing is for you, I need to know that you want it. Also, know that everything that I write comes from real experiences. Each blog entry happened- that is where the magic lies. This is not fiction. I am bringing a real location, my raw thoughts, and the word of God, in combination to make a story. A story that will not only allow you see my life in an honest, unique light but hopefully change the way you view your life. Lastly, know that I do this for God. My desire is that you may watch me grow in my faith and come to question it yourselves. I by no means have all the answers or am saying that my life is the way you should live. However, I do know that my joy comes from Christ, and I want that joy for you. I hope that you will enjoy my future blog entries, and encourage others to read them as well. I am stepping out on a limb for you, because you are worth it.


ps. If you have any questions/comments, about my writing (or photography), or would just like to talk, feel free to email me at kellyhavens@aol.com 


3 comments:

  1. I wonder what kind of praise I would have to give to leave a lasting impression on someone who recieves so much praise every single day in everything you share. Incredible isn't a passionate enough word to describe the art you create in words and in your photos. I can't begin to describe what your work does for me. It makes me think, believe, question, dream, imagine your life. I've never been so struck by writing before. Your work is just an all around inspiration. I've never understood faith before but your writing and your work has inspired me to understand, to find it, to live for it. The intensity you exhibit is shocking and nothing short of beautiful. You've managed to create your own form of perfection in simplistic beauty, and words. Don't stop writing, don't stop questioning humanity, life, love, faith. You've managed to create philosophy.
    I wish I knew you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I tend to throw my entire heart and soul into everything I do and believe in."

    I loved that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with everything that anon said.
    Your writing is so incredible and inspiring. It feels like I, myself, and living in the moment as you are describing it all. Keep writing. It's all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete